Thursday, May 21, 2009

Firewood and Sleeping Bags

This morning, Tyler asked me if I had a hacksaw and a hatchet so that I would be able to have firewood. I told him that they sell firewood at the KOA store, to which he replied haughtily, "THAT'S not camping!" He might as well have finished off with a quip starting with, "Back in my day..." and finished it with some well-meaning societal moral about how kids these days don't appreciate the hardships that he had to suffer during his youth. Never mind that we are the same age and that I've explained repeatedly that we are not going camping out in the wilderness. It's a KOA. There's a store, usually an arcade, laundry facilities, bathrooms (with toilet tissue even!) and a swimming pool and playground. The place in Arkansas has an attached water park, for crying out loud. Hardly the same as camping out in the middle of the forest somewhere.

So, anyway, today I went to Dick's Sporting Goods where Matthew and I pondered over sleeping bags and sleeping arrangements. Well ... I pondered and Matthew played with his shoes. But still, it was fun to have someone to bounce ideas off of, especially since he doesn't really say much that's meaningful back. For example, consider this conversation we had while at the store:

Me: Matthew, should we get 2 sleeping bags or 3? We won't be using them zipped up because it will be too hot. So we just need some padded surface area for everyone to actually lay on and we'll bring blankets from home.

Matthew: Yeah!

Me: Maybe we should get this one - see - it's a double sleeping bag. We can unzip them and then we'll automatically have two.

Matthew: I racecar! Vrrrrrr.....

Me: Hmm... but the individual sleeping bags are actually cheaper than buying the one that comes with two. Look at these over here; do you think we should get one red and one green? They're on sale!

Matthew: Go pee potty, now!

Me: Ok, guess we're done!

And so we ended up with one green and one red sleeping bag, lined in flannel. I'll put three kids on one of them (opened out) and myself and another kid on the other one (opened out) and just take comfort in knowing that if it doesn't work out I can always stop and buy another sleeping bag someplace. Because it's not like we are going to be out in the wilderness ... I'm sure there will be a WalMart or something right down the road.

1 comment:

  1. Hacksaws and hatchets are for when you are not camping alone with four small children. ;-)

    ReplyDelete