Friday, November 12, 2010

Mommy and Matthew Friday - How It Came About

Mommy and Matthew Day - otherwise known as Me and You Day.

Since starting classes a couple of years ago, the kids have definitely noticed that my time with them has been reduced. When I first started, Hannah really struggled with having me gone. She came right out and asked me why taking care of her and the other kids wasn't enough and wanted to know why I was 'leaving them.' It took some explaining and some time to get used to the change, but now I am glad to say that she is proud of me and sees me as an educational role model.

Anyway, Matthew was only 2 when I started back to school, so he has been hit the hardest with my absence. A couple of semesters ago, I ended up with classes all 5 days of the week, and 5 days at the school's childcare proved just too much for Matthew, who has some sensory issues, to bear. By Saturday, he was a stressed out bundle of nerves and we would have to spend the whole weekend just calming him down - only to have it start back again on Monday. Since that semester, I have made absolute certain that I have at least one full day during the week with Matthew - just me and him.

This semester, Me and You day has been on Friday. And he's had the added bonus of Matthew and Daddy day on Monday since Ty is off of work on Mondays. It's been a great semester having a whole day to spend together while the girls are in school. It's nice to have that time with him! Now ... I just need to come up with a way of having that kind of time with each of the girls as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment