Saturday, December 11, 2010

Christmas Crackers

When I was a very little girl, about 5 years old, my family lived in a town called Morton-in-Marsh in England. My dad was stationed at the Air Force base nearby. I don't remember much about England, but I do remember making brass rubbings at Westminster Abbey and I remember our next door neighbors, Mr. and Mrs. Lewis.

Mr. Lewis was an elderly gentleman who was (as I remember) soft-spoken. He wore cardigan sweaters and had a book about birds and their eggs that he used to let me look at when we would visit. We would sit together and look at the bird egg book and talk.

Anyway, one year Mr. and Mrs. Lewis invited us to Christmas. On the table were these Christmas crackers, which I had not seen before. Traditionally, two people each grasp one end and pull the cracker apart. With a POP, it cracks open and little trinkets and a paper hat are revealed. The person who ends up with the larger portion of the cracker will have good luck.

This year, I'm thinking of ordering some of these Christmas Crackers from Amazon. I think it would be a fun way of introducing my own kids to this fun English tradition.



I really think they would get a kick out of them!

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE Christmas Crackers. Of course, we picked up the tradition in England, too. Mom used to get empty ones that you can fill yourself at The Container Store, but they don't carry those any more. This week, I bought a package at World Market, so we'll have them this year!

    ReplyDelete