Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Birth Certificate and Passport Card

Since the last part of our trip takes us to Price Edward Island and Nova Scotia in Canada, I needed to get a passport or passport card. And in order to get a passport, you have to have a birth certificate.

After a thorough search for mine, of course it's nowhere to be found. And since I was born on an Air Force Base in Germany, of course it's a little more complicated to get a duplicate.

On April 14th, I sent off my application for a replacement Consular Report of Birth Abroad along with my $35 fee. And I waited. And waited, and waited. I just knew that after our FL trip, I would come home and it would be here waiting for me. But no.

On May 1st, the Department of State cashed my check! It was exciting to see it come through my online bank statement. I didn't think it would take long after cashing my check to get my birth certificate. So I waited some more.

On May 19th, my birth certificate was printed by the Vital Records Section of the Department of State. And it was postmarked on May 22nd.

I know this, because I received it in the mail today, May 26th. Woo hoo!!! It's about time.

I do realize that the range from April 14th to May 26th isn't all that long. Just about 6 weeks, which is what they say to expect on the application. But the question now is this: Will I have enough time to get a passport card? I am thinking that I am going to have to get an actual passport instead and pay to expedite it. I really wasn't planning on spending that much money - the passport card costs $45. A real passport costs $100, and an expedited passport costs $160. I am just thankful that the laws haven't changed for the kids - they will be allowed back into the USA with their birth certificates which I have already packed.

Why didn't I apply for my birth certificate even one month earlier than I did? I knew I should! I even talked about it with my mom. But I put it off and now I'm dealing with the consequences of my actions. And even still, with expedited service, I might not get it in time - I might have to have Tyler overnight it to me someplace when he gets it! Yikes!!!

At least I got the birth certificate, though. I am one step closer. Now I just have to stay on the ball and get my passport application sent out no later than tomorrow!! Stay focused, Jennifer!

No comments:

Post a Comment