Thursday, January 27, 2011

8 Hours From Now...

...the pork butt roast will be finished in the crock pot. I put it on two hours ago and it is just starting to smell good.

Simple, simple recipe - stick a pork butt roast in the crock pot and add a small bottle of your favorite barbecue sauce. Cook 8-10 hours on low. After that time, shred the meat with a couple of forks, remove the bone and any big hunks of fat, and then heat it through again if it cooled off too much while you were shredding it. I'll offer hamburger buns to the family tonight but I think I'll skip the bread, myself. We're having fresh cauliflower and baked sweet potatoes as sides.

The best part? I found this pork roast on sale at the store because it was approaching the sell by date. The cost was only $11.50 for an 8 pound roast. Eight pounds!!! The first thing I'm going to do is put half of it in the freezer for a future meal.

2 comments:

  1. Yum!!!

    If you'd like the bread on meals like this, try Sandwich Thins. We discovered them a couple of months ago, and we all LOVE them. Much less bread, whole grain, 100 cals for the whole thing.

    http://www.oroweat.com/thins/

    I think a couple other companies make them, too. I get them at Costco, but I've seen them at all the local grocery stores, and I bet the bread store outlets have them, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've gotten them in the past - they are very good! I like just a scoop of meat right on the plate, though. It feels more like 'dinner' if it's not a sandwich. Don't know why!

    ReplyDelete